NATS has garnered acclaim for its exceptional performance in corporate transparency and commitment to addressing climate change, as recognized by CDP, an environmental evaluation firm. In 2023, NATS achieved its highest rating to date, ascending from a B to joining CDP’s esteemed ‘A List’. This places NATS among the top 2% of companies worldwide.
NATS receives ‘A List’ acclaim for leadership in environmental transparency and action
According to data from CDP’s 2023 Climate Change Questionnaire, NATS is among a select few to attain an ‘A’ rating out of over 21,000 companies evaluated within the world’s largest sustainability benchmarking system.
CDP employs a rigorous and impartial methodology to assess companies and municipalities globally, considering factors such as the depth of disclosure, management of environmental risks, and adherence to environmental leadership principles, including the establishment of ambitious targets and robust governance practices.
Furthermore, to achieve an A or A- rating, companies must demonstrate verified greenhouse gas emissions reporting and have emissions reduction targets aligned with the Paris Accord, among other criteria.
NATS’ position as a leader in its industry is the result of its ongoing environmental initiatives and enhancements in sustainability performance throughout its operations. In the previous fiscal year, NATS has:
- Unveiled a new corporate vision for 2040, with decarbonization as a central focus. One of the four primary strategic objectives is to become a net zero emissions company by 2035 and carbon negative by 2040, along with a commitment to collaborating with partners to achieve a net zero aviation industry by 2050.
- Introduced a 5 Year Transition Plan, outlining short-term activities aligned with the company’s net zero targets.
- Strengthened the identification, measurement, and management of climate-related risks.
- Implemented a supplier engagement program aimed at fostering knowledge sharing with partners pursuing similar decarbonization strategies.
- Demonstrated a wide range of actions to enhance emissions and energy performance, including the development of large-scale on-site renewable energy projects, inclusion of carbon performance targets in supplier contracts, and initiatives to maintain and enhance technology.
- Underwent independent verification of public reporting of carbon and energy performance.
Validated its estate emissions targets on the ground through the Science Based Targets initiative, earning the highest « Business Ambition » status. Between 2018/19 and 2023, NATS substantially increased its annual procurement of renewable electricity from 0% to 99%, surpassing internal targets with a trajectory toward achieving 100% by 2030.
Ian Jopson, the Director of Sustainability at NATS, remarked: « This CDP rating recognizes the progress NATS is making toward enhancing its sustainability performance, but there are still further achievements to pursue.
“This decade needs to be one of transformative action on the ground and in the air. As part of the UK’s Sustainable Aviation coalition, wider industry collaboration must continue to be a focus to reach the industry’s 2050 net zero emissions target.”
NATS plays a crucial role in driving airspace modernization in the UK. Over the next decade, the airspace framework will undergo significant transformation to facilitate more efficient flight operations, resulting in reduced fuel consumption and emissions. Already, nine airspace changes have been implemented in the past two years, collectively leading to annual savings of over 50,000 tons of CO2.
By achieving inclusion in the ‘A’ List, NATS showcases its ability to provide comprehensive and high-quality data, which serves as a foundation for tangible advancements toward its environmental goals.